NCL formally declared open and dedicated to nation on 3 January 1950 by the first Prime Minister of India, Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru. The mission of the laboratory is stated as “The purpose of this laboratory is to advance knowledge and to apply chemical science to the good of the people”.
NCL establishes deep connections with the emerging chemical industries in independent India. Over 65 industries are served by NCL. NCL secures 46 Indian Patents during this period.